Lanna Apisukh is a portrait and documentary photographer based in New York City. With a background in skateboarding and an extensive athletic career as a former elite gymnast, she is drawn to photographing dynamic individuals walking their own path. Her work explores people and their relationship to place, culture and identity through bold and honest stories she strives to create in her images.
Lanna is a Bachelor of Arts graduate of the University of Washington and has expanded on her photography education at the Fashion Institute of Technology. Her subjects span from TV personalities, skateboarders and CEOs to artists, immigrant communities, everyday people and their surroundings.
As a first generation Thai-American and the daughter of former restaurant owners and cooks, Lanna had also developed a deep appreciation for food at a young age and its connection to family and culture which can be seen in her profiles with restaurants and chefs.
Lanna is a member of Diversify Photo and became an official Fujifilm Creator in 2021. She is a regular contributor at The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and New York Magazine. In addition to her photography work, she helps to provide creative education to underserved communities through BKC and ASMP programming. Lanna is also a founding member of Seeing Collective, an artist group hosting talks, photo exhibitions and critiques to foster community and a supportive network within the photo industry.
Lanna is available for assignments and commissions.
Lanna's selected stock archive is syndicated through Redux Pictures.
Portrait of Lanna by Fiona Veronique.
Selected Clients & Publications
The New York Times
New York Magazine
The Wall Street Journal
It's Nice That
The Criterion Collection
Prestel Publishing (Skate Like a Girl)
NBC Today Show
Men's Health (Hearst Magazines)
Lang Lang International Music Foundation
The Photographic Journal
Carvalho Park Gallery
Platform (David Zwirner Gallery)
Milk.xyz (Milk Studios)
Exhibitions & Presentations
- Welcome Back: The Show Will Never End, Float Magazine Group Exhibition, Queens, NY (May 2021)
- Relief Markt Group Exhibition, Waterfront Studios, Brooklyn, NY (Dec 2020)
- NY Photo Salon x School of Visual Arts, Online Presentation (Oct 2020)
- Smokey Vale Gallery 'Community' Group Exhibition, Brooklyn, NY (Sept 2020)
- Czech Center New York ‘Still Cities’ Exhibition, New York, NY (June 2020)
- Humble Arts Foundation: Group Show 63, 'Love Actually' (Nov 2019)
- Seeing Collective x BKC ‘Disconnect’ Group Show, Brooklyn (Oct 2019)
- Lomography 'Metropolis' Group Show, Brooklyn, NY (Aug 2019)
Workshops & Events
- The New York Times Portfolio Review, Attendee (March 2022)
- Eddie Adams Photojournalism Workshop XXXIV, Student (Class of 2021)
- Fujifilm x Flickr/Smugmug Photo Critique, Guest Speaker (June 2021)
- ICP Teen Academy, Guest Speaker (May 2021)
- NEST x Madewell Hometown Heroes - Product Photography workshop, Guest Instructor (May 2021)